Monday, July 1, 2013

LEED Operations

We have been in the house for a little over a year now, and I thought I would give a little update on the performance.  

The vegetation on the site has filled in nicely.  The wildflowers we have planted are slowly beginning to assert their place in the prairie, and we have a profusion of color with purple, white, and a sprinkling of yellow flowers.  It is still early in the season for all of the flowering plants to bloom, but we are expecting a spectacular display.  

The fireflies hatched about two weeks late this year.  The vast majority of the time they illuminate only when their flight is in an upward path which I call "lighting up" (I swear I never inhaled).  Early in the evening they light up close to the ground, but eventually work their way up to the treetops.  

We have several sightings of an Indigo Blue Bunting.  This morning as I left the house, I flushed four of them from the driveway.  We assumed that they had a nest nearby, and this appeared to be several of the juveniles.  They are a striking iridescent blue.

The floor plan has worked perfectly for us, doing everything we had hoped for during the design process.  We have adapted to the one design element that was somewhat questionable, and that was the placement of the laundry room at the center of the bedroom wing.  We struggled during the design process with wanting the convenience of the proximity to the laundry facilities, and the noise that would be generated.  We have scheduled most of our laundry during the day, and we seem to have tuned out any noise that encroaches on our sleeping time.   

The solar panels were installed last October.  We were generating roughly 50 - 75 kilowatt hours of electricity per month through the winter, far less than our demand of around 750 kWh.  The blue line in the graph on the right shows the power demand from the utility company, and the green line shows what we produce and put back into the grid.  

The demand peak in August aligns with the cooling load attributed to the hottest summer on record, and the peak in January aligns with entertaining the family at Christmas time.  Other than those two anomalies, we have consistently used about 750 kWh per month.  We have had a very cool spring, and have been able to have the windows open for the last two months, helping to keep our loads to a minimum.  We have had another addition to the household in the last month that has an impact on our total energy use.  My daughter moved back from California and is staying with us while she looks for work.  It is good to have her back home.

We did not have the production agreement finalized with Consumers Energy until December last year; hence the late start on the contribution to the grid.  You can see the production climbing steadily as we move into the summer months.  Winter production was substantially below expected output, and summer production is slightly above expected output.  I found historical data for average days of sunshine per month, but nothing current to compare with actual sunshine over the last year.  We do still produce some electricity on cloudy days.

You may be interested to know that even the supermoon we had the other night was not enough to start up the solar array.  I can't remember enough of my college physics to recall if the properties of reflected light are the same as direct sunlight.  Proper wavelengths notwithstanding, the added illuminance from the close proximity to the moon was not enough to excite the "lunar" array on the roof.  We checked a couple of times during the night to no avail.  You can cross that off your list for any contributions to energy production.

The only major energy expense we should have right now is our electric hot water.  Since this is derived from the heat pump and an electric coil, I have started looking at the cost of installing the solar hot water array.  We already have the storage tank and the piping in place, we need only install the rooftop array, and some controls.  Hopefully this will reduce our energy requirements to the 550 kWh/ month levels we projected in the design process. 


Thanks to our decision to install smooth concrete floors as our finish floor, cleaning has been a breeze.  We have resisted installing floor coverings, having only two rugs in the house; one in the living area and one in my office to protect the floor.  We also have walk-off mats at the entrances.  With a dust mop, we can clean the floors in about 5 minutes, vacuum the rugs in about another five minutes, and mop the kitchen and bath in another 10 minutes as needed.  This is a vast improvement over the last house which took at least a half a day to clean.  

We have not installed the data logging equipment to record how we use energy.  Though I was looking forward to a more detailed look into how we use energy, we will have to hold off until we can squeeze it into a future budget. 

In the meantime, our new home provides us with everything we had hoped for in comfort and quality of life.  I will keep posting periodically as there is anything to report.  Have a great summer.

 













   


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing your home on the recent LEED for homes tour. It was interesting to see how everything works so efficiently and how your home is designed with a minimal style. Excellent design plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a chance you qualify for a new solar rebate program.
    Click here and find out if you qualify now!

    ReplyDelete